It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 am

www.eccoshoesirelandsale.com 

Post www.eccoshoesirelandsale.com
by Matthew Rusling

MIAMI Ecco Soft 8 Shoes Ireland , the United States, Sept. 11 (Xinhua) -- As bad as Hurricane Irma is, an even more insidious threat is coming, as climate change causes sea levels to slowly rise and threatens to put large chunks of the U.S. state of Florida under water.

While ocean levels have risen and fallen over tens of thousands of years, they have remained the same over the past 5,000 or 6,000 years Ecco Intrinsic Shoes Ireland , since the dawn of recorded human history.

Now, however, is the first time in recorded history that they are changing.

"South Florida's doomsday doesn't come with a hurricane. It just comes very quietly as the water creeps up," Daniel Kreeger, executive director of the Association of Climate Change Officers, told Xinhua.

"We're so close to sea level that if sea level is rising, there's a point where you don't need a storm (to do harm). You're just underwater Ecco Moc Tie Shoes Ireland ," he said.

That sits in sharp contrast with just two decades ago, when the main concern of residents and property owners was hurricanes, he said.

Now, low lying cities worldwide, from Mumbai to Bangkok to right here in southern Florida, are under the same threat.

According to images collected by NASA, global sea levels have risen 3 inches (7.6 cm) since 1992.

The U.S. National Ocean Service said global sea levels will likely continue to rise Ecco Slip On Shoes Ireland , although it remains unknown by how much.

Some experts said that could spell disaster for southern Florida, which includes Miami and the surrounding area.

A confluence of factors puts Miami under particular risk. For one thing, the city lies on a foundation of limestone, which allows water to seep through from underneath and come up through the sewers and drainage system to cause flooding.

That can happen during the king tide season -- a time of higher-than-usual tides -- and can in some cases happen without even a drop of rain.

City officials, politicians and climate change experts with whom Xinhua has spoken said this confluence of factors -- rising sea levels, a limestone foundation and king tides -- threaten to make large parts of the area uninhabitable.

While it remains unknown whether that will take decades or a century, local residents said it seems to be getting worse.

Jose Ecco Moc 2.0 Shoes Ireland , a waiter at a downtown Miami hotel who only gave his first name, said even a couple of hours of rain can flood the streets in certain neighborhoods in Miami.

"I've been here all my life and I don't remember it being this bad when I was a kid," he told Xinhua a couple of days before the hurricane hit.

"Just a couple of weeks ago there was a couple of hours of rain and already the water was up here," Jose said, demonstrating with his hands that water was above his ankles.

Danny, an Uber driver in downtown Miami, echoed those sentiments Ecco Soft 7 Shoes Ireland , telling Xinhua that rainfall causes light flooding in some streets as he traverses the area.

Some in the real estate business said Florida may be the next big real estate investment destination for foreign investors including Chinese. But if parts of the state see more frequent flooding, that trend could reverse.

Southern Florida is historically a major retirement destination for Americans, a party place for the rich and famous, and boasts a vibrant Cuban community that has lived there since the 1960s, many of whom are wealthy.

Aftermath of powerful hurricane Irma in Florida

Photo exhibition on human rights progress in China held in Geneva

Flood wreaks havoc in Dhaka, Bangladesh

16th anniv. of Sept. 11 terror attacks marked in Washington D.C.

China, Pakistan air forces hold joint training exercises

Pic story: Chinese grape and wine expert

Farmers busy with farm work around Bailu across China

Rural children take free lunch in SW China's Guizhou

Three UCLA basketball players detained for shoplifting at three high-end stores in China publicly apologized Wednesday before coach Steve Alford announced they were being suspended indefinitely.

Freshmen LiAngelo Ball Ecco Track 6 Shoes Ireland , Jalen Hill and Cody Riley won’t be allowed to suit up, practice or travel with the team while the university continues to sort out the circumstances of last week’s incident in Hangzhou, China, Alford said during a news conference at Pauley Pavilion.

”These are good young men who have exercised an inexcusable lapse of judgment and now they have to live with that,” Alford said. ”They let a lot people down in the process.”

”I’m confident that they have already begun to use this experience as a life lesson,” he added.

Ball, Hill and Riley took turns confessing to the theft and apologizing while also thanking President Donald Trump for intervening on their behalf with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping. The players had returned to Los Angeles on Tuesday after Chinese authorities withdrew the charges against them.

”I’m sorry for stealing from the stores in China Ecco Jeremy Shoes Ireland ,” said Ball, the younger brother of Los Angeles Lakers rookie Lonzo Ball, who played last season at UCLA.

”I’ve learned my lesson from this big mistake and I’m a hundred percent sure I’ll never make a mistake like this again. It’s going to make me a better person from here on out.”

When it was his turn, Hill said, ”I’m sorry for shoplifting. What I did was stupid. I don’t want to be known for this dumb mistake.”

”I hope you can forgive my stupid, childish actions,” he added.

Riley was the first to speak and he thanked the Pac-12 Conference Ecco Gtx Shoes Ireland , several UCLA administrators and his teammates.

”You guys mean so much to me,” Riley said of his teammates. ”I’m sorry for letting you down.”

Athletic director Dan Guerrero also spoke at the news conference, but no one took questions from a large group of media.

Alford didn’t specify what the indefinite suspensions mean, saying only that the three players would have to earn their way back onto the te.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 am