It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:40 am

s, along with "some speechifying" and "a series of 

Post s, along with "some speechifying" and "a series of
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Phil Mickelson talked about finishing off rounds coming into the St. Jude Classic, and he did just that Thursday with a 3-under 67 at TPC Southwind. Mickelson birdied three of his final four holes for his first round in the 60s since the third round at the Wells Fargo Championship. He hadnt shot below 70 since then, missing the cut at The Players Championship and tying for 49th at Memorial last week following a visit from FBI agents and lingering questions about an insider-trading investigation. He hasnt won in 19 events dating to the British Open and is among the players in Tennessee tuning up for the U.S. Open next week at Pinehurst. "I did exactly what I need to do and some momentum that I need heading into the U.S. Open," Mickelson said. "Tomorrows round, the same thing. Finish strong and play a good round." Retief Goosen was the clubhouse leader at 66. Mickelelson, who tied for second at Southwind last year, was among the 53 players who finished before play was delayed in the afternoon because of a thunderstorm. With the storm bringing high wind, tournament officials closed the course to fans for the rest of the day and sent home as many volunteers as possible. Play was scheduled to resume at 4:45 p.m., with officials hoping to squeeze in as much of the first round as possible. Even with tricky wind Thursday morning, Mickelson said his focus on each shot was much better. Hes trying to better visualize the shot and curve his irons so that his approach shots land closer to the hole, giving him more tap-in opportunities. Finishing with the three birdies in his final four holes was exactly what he wanted in a round with five birdies and two bogeys. He hit his approach from 135 yards on the par-4 sixth to 5 feet and rolled in the birdie putt. He left himself longer putts with a 7-footer on the par-3 eighth and an 11-footer on the par-4 ninth, but knocked them in for his strong finish. "Ive been struggling with finishing the round strong," Mickelson said. "I had a good round last week on Thursday and then played poorly. To birdie three of the last four made it a great round. Thats exactly what I need to do." Firm greens made it tough to land balls close, but Goosen credited the firm greens with helping him roll in some of his birdie putts. He sunk a couple from 5 feet or closer, but also had a couple birdie putts from 14 feet. Goosen also saved par on No. 7 with a 12-foot putt. "The greens are as good as greens as you can get," Goosen said. "The greens are rolling close to 13 on the stimpmeter. They are really good. You hit the right putt, they are going to go in." A seven-time winner on the PGA Tour, Goosen hasnt won on tour since 2009. He has two top-10 finishes this year as he continues his comeback from back surgery in August 2012. He tied for third in Memphis in 2011 and said he really likes the course. That showed as Goosen, who started on No. 10, birdied four of five holes before making the turn. He finished his round with two more birdies and two bogeys, including one on the par-5 third when his drive landed against a tree and forcing him to chip back into the fairway toward the tee. "But overall happy with my round," Goosen said. "Nice to get off to a good start and try and hold onto that." Divots: Robert Garrigus withdrew after hurting his wrist in the 18th fairway. He had a 79 that included three bogeys, a double and an 8 on the par-4 17th. Marcedes Lewis Jersey .ca. In addition to the game being aired in its entirety on CTV Two Vancouver Island and TSN.ca, TSN2 will also have coverage of Whitecaps FC immediately following NASCAR Sprint Cup Series: Toyota Owners 400. T.J. Yeldon Jersey . The former Edmonton Oilers defenceman was with the St. Louis Blues in training camp on a professional tryout. Whitney, 30, had four goals and 13 points in 34 games with the Oilers last season. http://www.shopthejaguarsonline.com/Eli ... rs-Jersey/. The team sent out a press release on Friday stating Poile was resting and recovering and that he will remain in hospital for further observation. The Predators were preparing for the game against the Wild when Poile was hit by a puck that flew off the ice at him where he was standing in a tunnel behind the bench. Jermey Parnell Jersey .ca! There is plenty of blame to be shared as a result of the most recent NHL player (Pittsburghs Brooks Orpik) to be evacuated from the ice on a stretcher following an ugly incident Saturday night in Boston. Jason Myers Jersey . 31-Feb. 2. While organizers havent decided if itll be red or green clay, they feel their choice of surface will give the Americans an advantage over Britain, which is expected to be led by defending Wimbledon champion Andy Murray.NEW YORK -- David Sterns NBA owners gathered one last time, toasting the outgoing commissioner before he leaves after 30 years on the job. They also changed back one of the earliest changes Stern made. Leaving with Stern is the NBA Finals format he implemented in his first full year on the job, one that alleviated travel concerns but critics felt also gave an advantage to the lower-seeded team. Beginning with the 2014 finals, the higher-seeded team will host Games 1, 2, 5 and 7. The lower seed gets Games 3, 4 and 6, following the same format the NBA uses in all other rounds. The NBA for the previous 29 years has used whats referred to as the 2-3-2 format, in which the higher seed hosts the first two games, then goes on the road for three straight. The 2-3-2 format was instituted in 1985 in part to ease the amount of cross-country travel with the Celtics and Lakers frequently meeting for the championship. But some felt it also worked against the team that should have the advantage. "There certainly was a perception ... it was unfair to the team that had the better record, that it was then playing the pivotal Game 5 on the road. So this obviously moves that game back to giving home-court advantage to the team with the better record if its a 2-2 series," Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said. The unanimous vote to approve the 2-2-1-1-1 format came Wednesday during Sterns final preseason meeting with his board of governors. Owners also voted to add an extra day between Games 6 and 7. The leagues competition committee had recommended the change last month back to 2-2-1-1-1, which was used in all but one finals from 1957 to 1984. Stern has often said he was acting on advice -- or complaints -- about the travel from former Celtics boss Red Auerbach when the finals format was switched. But with commercial flights long since replacedd by charters, teams didnt have the same difficulties now with the number of trips.dddddddddddd Instead, the ones who had the higher seed found it more inconvenient, Stern said, to be on the road for as many as eight days in a row when the opponent hosted the middle three games. Silver, who will become commissioner after Stern retires Feb. 1, is a proponent of the 2-2-1-1-1 format, though he said Stern and other league executives all thought it was time for the change. "It reached a crescendo where basketball people thought it was important and the business people stood down and said it was no longer necessary for the convenience of transportation or the media," Silver said. Beyond the re-election of Spurs owner Peter Holt as chairman, there was little other business for the owners, who toasted Stern during dinner Tuesday night. Stern said there was a video tribute voiced by Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, along with "some speechifying" and "a series of totally embarrassing photos of me over the last 36 years." "I got the opportunity to thank my colleagues at the NBA for their incredible work and saying how pleased I was that the league was in such good hands under those colleagues and Adams stewardship," Stern said. The owners were also presented with a Stern bobblehead doll. The commissioner said Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert joked that unlike most bobbleheads whose heads nod up and down, Sterns only moves side to side as if shaking its head no. "Its been a great opportunity," Stern said. "Believe it or not, even including my interaction with the media and the burns that come from being a lightning rod, its been a great run, and Im grateful to the owners for giving me the opportunity." Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 am