It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Question... Why e-cheque 

Post Question... Why e-cheque
Friends,

Today I received a payment for an item by echeque. My buyer is a bit confused as to why paypal had sent payment in this slow form.... She wrote...

Quote:
Dear bry,

I used paypal to pay for this item, but instead of the usual instant bank transfer, it has used an e-cheque. Is this a setting that i have changed or is it at your end? It's quite frustrating because it takes so long to clear!

Now I have no problem trusting this buyer and will dispatch the low value item at my own risk, but I'd like to help her to understand what had happened. Am I correct in thinking that this is the default action when the buyer has no credit balance with paypal and their default payment is bank transfer? If so, why might the buyer not have encountered this before?

Thanks in advance.
Bry.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm
Profile YIM

im not to clued up on echeques but whatever u do. dont send until u have the funds.. echeques are a pain in the arsenal

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Post Re: Question... Why e-cheque
Bryspatio wrote:
Friends,

Today I received a payment for an item by echeque. My buyer is a bit confused as to why paypal had sent payment in this slow form.... She wrote...

Quote:
Dear bry,

I used paypal to pay for this item, but instead of the usual instant bank transfer, it has used an e-cheque. Is this a setting that i have changed or is it at your end? It's quite frustrating because it takes so long to clear!

Now I have no problem trusting this buyer and will dispatch the low value item at my own risk, but I'd like to help her to understand what had happened. Am I correct in thinking that this is the default action when the buyer has no credit balance with paypal and their default payment is bank transfer? If so, why might the buyer not have encountered this before?

Thanks in advance.
Bry.

Pobably is a default setting, possible her registered card has expired so it defaulted to e-cheque. Or she might have maxed out her card

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:13 pm
Profile WWW

dont send until u have the funds.. echeques are a pain in the arsenal

We have different styles Dan 8) I will be dispatching the goods immediately. I know the risks and live with them.
As a buyer, I would be pretty miffed if I had to wait over a week for clearance, and then more time for delivery. I've never yet had any problems with echeques, whatsoever. Indeed the only problem I've had with regular cheques is remembering to pay them in.

Of course typing this is sure to jinx my next fistful of transactions :)

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:24 pm
Profile YIM
Site admin
Site admin

e-cheques occur if the buyer has not verified their bank account (2 deposit payment thing) and their allocated credit or debit card has expired or been rejected.

I've been bitten twice by sending goods before they have cleared, as the buyer can still cancel them before they clear. When this happens there is no confirmation email from paypal, so it's only after checking the tranasction history a few weeks later did I realise.

I've blocked e-cheques as a payment method now. No longer do i have to explain why their payment is taking so long, despite their best efforts to get an overnight delivery.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:30 pm
Profile WWW

Doesn't quite explain how she could do it before, but now be cajoled into echeque... Unless as you say a debit card had expired.

Ho hum. Thanks anyway.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:26 pm
Profile YIM

This happened to me when I changed bank accounts, I never realised until I bought something and tried to pay :roll:

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Quote:
dont send until u have the funds.. echeques are a pain in the arsenal

We have different styles Dan 8) I will be dispatching the goods immediately. I know the risks and live with them.
As a buyer, I would be pretty miffed if I had to wait over a week for clearance, and then more time for delivery. I've never yet had any problems with echeques, whatsoever. Indeed the only problem I've had with regular cheques is remembering to pay them in.

Of course typing this is sure to jinx my next fistful of transactions :)

. brave man. ive never sent goods while waiting for echeque to clear. i did this once and got stung for it. and swore id never do it agian. like steve said. they can still cancel the payment once they receive it. thats if u send before the echeque clears.

save hassles and just ban them. then no more echeque problems

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:57 am

happened to me when my card expired. took 2 seconds to change, so cancelled the payment and resent it

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

I've forwarded the information onto my buyer and she is delighted. All my customers love me and want to have my babies... even the guys. :.:

Dan said...
Quote:
brave man. ive never sent goods while waiting for echeque to clear. i did this once and got stung for it. and swore id never do it agian.

Well Dan, you were unlucky and it's damaged your opinion of your buyers. So far I've had no issues with bounced payments, but I know it's inevitable that one day I will. I've had my share of customers who try it on for a freebee and they get banned, albeit after the event. It's not brave, maybe naive of me to be so trusting. For the odd fiver here or there, I think it's worth it for the extra customer satisfaction. To each his own though.

Bry

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:43 pm
Profile YIM
Site admin
Site admin

I'm also of the opinion that certain categories are more at risk to difficult buyers, clothes seems to be a very difficult category to keep all buyers pleased, and I also think that lower priced items may have a higher risk of non communication in the event of problems.

Under the new feedback rules, I'm being selective with what I now list, and also being a bit more cautious with by buyer preferences on individual items.

eBay is not as much fun as it used to be. :(

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 pm
Profile WWW

paypal even states that you shouldnt send goods until echeque clears.

Live life on the edge :)

Not sending goods till payment clears saves one from losing goods when the payment bounces. It does little to save you from losing goodwill from profitable, upstanding customers who just happen to be a bit impatient.
I could save myself from any risk of bad buyers by not being a seller.
If my goods were high value, then my approach might change. For now, I happily live with the risks.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:03 pm
Profile YIM
Site admin
Site admin

I've got no problem with posting items upon receipt of a paper cheque - I know I can resubmit it on the chance it bounces, and it will cost the buyer a lot more than me, but after having the e-cheques stopped without notice, and the fact that Paypal charge me for the honour of their processing when they do clear, I'm happy with my decsion to block them altogether.

The buyer gets a message saying I can't receive their payment which prompts an email to me where I can tell them how to pay directly with a credit or debit card, bank transfer, postal order or paper cheque - the latter 3 costing me less in fees into the bargain.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 pm
Profile WWW

if you get one always let the buyer know thats how they have paid and how long its going to take to clear as most buyers dont know they have paid by echeque.

ive had a couple cancel on me but have never posted items out before they have cleared....just as well.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:43 pm

when i get them i always let the buyer know whats happening. Only had one person cancel it before it cleared, the day before it cleared aswell, and then a week later they got kicked off ebay. I dont like them though, its strange that some take longer to clear than others.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:25 pm
Profile WWW

I've received quite a few echeques, which usually take about 3 days to clear. This is not a problem with hard items - I forward the email from paypal to the buyer, explaining I'll post as soon as it's cleared and get it ready for mailing in the meantime. They're cool with that.

But what happens if the item is digital - does anyone know if the buyer still gets directed to the download page even though payment is not yet cleared?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

i have only ever waitied 2-3 weeks for an echeque (through paypal) to clear.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 am

Is that normal for the UK?
I'm in Australia - and it's only 3 working days.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 am
Profile WWW

as far as i know it is, at least it id for me, i have had loads, and the least i have waied is 10 days, even tho the emails always say3-5 i think. :roll:

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks for the clarification.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Profile WWW